- Don' forget to carry your state driving license or an
International driving permit if you are planning on driving while on
your trip. Most countries accept a state driving permit as long as
it is in english and has a photo identity on it.
- Choose your car according to the road. For dune driving or "wadi
(dry creek bed) bashing" hire a four-wheel drive and take
expert instructions from the locals. Driving on sand is not as easy
at it may look- it takes years of training for even the locals to
get it right.
- If you are planning on renting a car while travelling, make sure
you make the reservation well in advance. If you wait till the last
minute you may not get the car and category of your choice,
especially if it happens to be the holiday season.
- Going on a long journey? Make sure your car is equipped with a
spare tyre and is in good condition.
- Check on the road rules before you take the car onto the road.
You dont want to be caught on the wrong side of the law -ever
- and especially not in a foreign country.
- If you are renting a car and planning on returning the car at
another location other then where you rented it, ask about any drop
off charges the company may charge.